The National Disability Insurance Scheme (NDIS) is a government program which provides support for Australians with a disability.
The NDIS helps people with disability to:
- Access mainstream services and supports such as doctors or teachers through the health and education systems. It also covers areas like public housing and the justice and aged care systems.
- Access community services and supports such as sports clubs, community groups, libraries or charities.
- Maintain informal support arrangements such as help from their family and friends.
- Receive reasonable and necessary funded supports. The NDIS can pay for supports that are reasonable and necessary. This means they are related to a person’s disability and are required for them to live an ordinary life and achieve their goals.
Assistance from the NDIS is not means tested and has no impact on income support such as the Disability Support Pension and Carers Allowance.
To become an NDIS participant a person must:
- Have a permanent disability that significantly affects their ability to take part in everyday activities
- Be aged less than 65 when they first enter the NDIS
- Be an Australian citizen or hold a permanent visa or a Protected Special Category visa, and
- Live in Australia where the NDIS is available
Life Mobility works closely with the NDIS to help customers receive the right mobility products to improve their lifestyle. If you have an NDIS plan, please complete the form below, and our team will get in contact regarding your enquiry.